Saturday 18 November 2017

Paigah Tombs : The lives lost in alleys

Paigah Tombs: The lives lost in alleys 


The history stands still between the creepers of our daily life. The time runs and takes its necessary action  for change whether it's good or bad but the memory stays. I am grateful to visit one of the rarely visited place -" Paigah Tombs", Hyderabad. My love and passion for the Islamic architecture added another feather on the hat by visiting this quiet, peaceful, solitary and pleasing site. 

When I checked about it in the Google before visiting did not think that I will be proven so wrong . As I wanted to make my Sunday little active so traveled to the Paigah Tombs seeing the most trustworthy and all time favourite Google map. While travelling I could not believe that a heritage site which was built over 200 years ago exists in between the over crowded area (Santosh nagar) in Hyderabad. The narrow passages leads mysteriously to the graves of the ancient ancestors. The whole site is so misfit to it's surrounding and that is why it stands out 'Uncommon'.


                         



The site is the best example of the simplicity infused with the intricacy and exquisite explanation of decor.  The diversity echoes in each and every corner of the site. The extensive manner of decoration shows the influence of Greek, Persian, Deccani and Rajasthani styles combined with the Indo Islamic style. The Noticeable thing is the use of 'Jali' which is quite common in Islamic architecture but here the varieties of jali creates the exaggeration of beauty. 


                                           


It was Abdul Fateh Khan Tegh who gave the Paigah nobility. He was given the title of the 'Shams -Ul-Umra' (the Sun among the masses) by the Nizam II. The Paigahs were the most influential and aristocrats among the royal families of Hyderabad Deccan. They were administrators of the Nizams. Their contributions in managing courts, armies, palaces made themselves the 'Right hand man' of the Nizam family. It was since 1797 that two families started inter marrying and strengthened their bond.

The major complex of Paigah Tombs consists 27 major  tombs stunningly executed with the fine inlay work and marble craftsmanship. The geometric design on the tombs are really noticeable and each tomb is unique and executed differently maintaining the Islamic culture.
The different flower motifs as border shows the detailed observation and intricate detailing. Each and every corner of the site explores uniqueness.

 

The open premises leads to the one block to another. while walking in the corridor I was feeling so blessed and was trying my best to penetrate the essence of the heritage inside me. I was trying my best to experience the difference which I felt crossing the tombs. It was an unusual experience to be the spectator, thinker and imaginator at the same time. I was struggling to be consistent while my mind and soul were drenched into the mist of imagination.

The presence of a Mosque inside the tombs premises made it very interesting. It is said that at the noon the whole Mosque's reflection falls in the water. So I tried my best to capture the shot.




As an artist I found this place fascinating and also it encourages us to know more, more about the time, history and the evolution. This place makes a difference of being uncommon into the commons. 

Photographs taken by Saheli basu.






4 comments: